Premier Haxball
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HTML5 Community Vote

+9
koL
VENOM i7
socrates
Ferg
Bamox
Cazorla
giggs'
WitselOG
lumi
13 posters
Go down

HTML5 or Flash?

15 - 52%
14 - 48%

Total Votes: 29

Poll closed
lumi
lumi
Administrator
Administrator

HTML5 Community Vote Empty HTML5 Community Vote

Mon Apr 23 2018, 13:42
Message reputation : 50% (10 votes)
Hi,

Now that FM is confirmed to be changing format to HTML5, it feels like a good time to pose this question to the community.

I haven't discussed this with other admins, and I'm not going to, because I believe this to be fairest way of doing it. I have to consider the fact that some people literally CANNOT play on HTML5, so unless there is a CLEAR majority, nothing will change.

I'm looking for results as follows:

Anything less than 60% of votes for HTML5, we will remain on flash.
Between 60 and 65%, it will go to an admin vote.
65% or more and we'll change to HTML5.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons in this thread. The poll will end 14 days from now.
lumi
lumi
Administrator
Administrator

HTML5 Community Vote Empty Re: HTML5 Community Vote

Mon Apr 23 2018, 16:36
Message reputation : 75% (4 votes)
Forgot to mention.

In the interest of fairness, only people who are CURRENTLY in a team can vote in this poll.

This prevents anyone linking the poll to their friends outside PH in order to influence a result. Thanks for trying that, though. Good effort.
WitselOG
WitselOG
Captain
Captain

Mon Apr 23 2018, 17:45
Message reputation : 25% (4 votes)
html all the way
giggs'
giggs'
Forum Bangout

Wed Apr 25 2018, 19:29
Message reputation : 50% (6 votes)
who the fuck still likes flash it's dogshit
Cazorla
Cazorla
PremierHax Member

Wed Apr 25 2018, 19:35
Message reputation : 86% (7 votes)
lol kill ur league off with html, i'll retire. fine by me i'll just leave the league and go commit suicide out of boredom and lack of meaning in my life. when i die u will all realise how important i was.
Bamox
Bamox
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 26 2018, 17:43
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Cazorla wrote:lol kill ur league off with html, i'll retire. fine by me i'll just leave the league and go commit suicide out of boredom and lack of meaning in my life. when i die u will all realise how important i was.

lol relax as it stands its flash season 12
WitselOG
WitselOG
Captain
Captain

Thu Apr 26 2018, 17:55
Message reputation : 0% (4 votes)
Bamox wrote:
Cazorla wrote:lol kill ur league off with html, i'll retire. fine by me i'll just leave the league and go commit suicide out of boredom and lack of meaning in my life. when i die u will all realise how important i was.

what you leaking admin discussions for girlpants

elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant
giggs'
giggs'
Forum Bangout

Thu Apr 26 2018, 20:52
Message reputation : 33% (3 votes)
Bamox wrote:

this is about B4D 4SS by the way not caz saying this LOOOL, fuck premhax if it's flash again
Ferg
Ferg
Promising

Thu Apr 26 2018, 21:53
Message reputation : 33% (3 votes)
html = down syndrome
socrates
socrates
Smooth Operator

Fri Apr 27 2018, 10:55
Originally PremierHax was created with the idea of having a close link with pubs. It was supposed to be a league which took new players and helped them learn the game in a competitive environment.

Sadly that has been lost for a long time imo. However if you still have some desires to fulfill that purpose then you should consider the fact that almost all UK pubs now are on HTML.

I have hosted a few rooms myself lately and the UK pub scene seems to be dying and there are never more than 2 rooms up at once. All on HTML.

Personally I'd like to see PremierHax go back to those ideals and try to revive pubs and UK haxball. But its not my league and I know it caters for other people now so gl with however you decide to continue.
lumi
lumi
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Apr 27 2018, 13:39
socrates wrote:Originally PremierHax was created with the idea of having a close link with pubs. It was supposed to be a league which took new players and helped them learn the game in a competitive environment.

Sadly that has been lost for a long time imo. However if you still have some desires to fulfill that purpose then you should consider the fact that almost all UK pubs now are on HTML.

I have hosted a few rooms myself lately and the UK pub scene seems to be dying and there are never more than 2 rooms up at once. All on HTML.

Personally I'd like to see PremierHax go back to those ideals and try to revive pubs and UK haxball. But its not my league and I know it caters for other people now so gl with however you decide to continue.

Precisely the arguments I've used when trying to reason with B4D. Unfortunately, it cannot be done. The vast majority of pubs are now on HTML5, how are we supposed to recruit for a flash league when we are forced to recruit new members who play HTML5? Using B4D's logic against him before he tries to say 'its all haxball', the physics are different!!!! <insert crying noise here>

Unfortunately we have to go with what the community wants which I believe is another value which Premier Hax was founded on, and if there is no overall majority to change, then we won't.
socrates
socrates
Smooth Operator

Fri Apr 27 2018, 14:25
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
HTML or Flash is just one part of it really. If PremierHax wants to recruit newer players then HTML might be necessary but it doesn't seem like PremierHax has done that for a long time. If there is no link with pubs and the league is all well known long-term players then it's fine to choose flash.

Choosing HTML if the current player base doesn't want that but then not going and recruiting pub players wouldn't make sense either. Just depends what the main goals of the league are and I guess at the moment its to provide a competitive 3v3 league with draft. (Nothing wrong with that).

Flash or HTML doesn't really bother me either way. I only posted as I believe there is an opportunity here for the league to correct some of its (imo) failures and go back to its roots focussing on community and pubs.
Bamox
Bamox
Captain
Captain

Fri Apr 27 2018, 15:48
Message reputation : 0% (1 vote)
WitselOG wrote:

what you leaking admin discussions for girlpants

elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant elephant

i'm guessing you don't know how to read but its not 60% for html my son bounce
VENOM i7
Dynamite

Sat Apr 28 2018, 22:04
haxball is dead
koL
koL
Promising

Tue May 01 2018, 01:31
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
Flash > HTML5

Here are some things that I've heard from people and why they prefer html5 over flash.

"HTML5 has better ping than flash"

This is a good point but in my experience html5 only says that it's lower ping. I could have 30 ping on html5 but when it goes up to say 60ms, I start lagging. I feel like the ping values have been lowered by basro to make it seem like you're getting better ping (my tinfoil hat is on). It should be playable with 100 ping like it is with flash but it's not so this point is irrelevant.

"HTML5 has better fps"
This is the main advantage to html5 over flash. I don't know what the game runs like with a beast of a computer but with my potato laptop, I can run haxball with full 60fps.

There is a known issue for some people who use Chrome and they can get a slight movement lag which can bring a disadvantage but there are fixes for this. The main fix for this is to use salamini's Haxwin (Link) or saviola's haxball window.

Aside from using third party programs, you should be able to run a flash game at 60fps in this day and age.

---

Points against HTML5

1. The player ball size is different.

This is the biggest load of nonsense about html5. It has been brought up before on the fm forums by B4D and others and I think it is the biggest factor of why not to change over.

In flash, the player ball is slightly fatter. Why does this matter? It matters because it takes more skill. Let me explain.

In HTML5, you can see the exact circumference of your ball and you can line up your rockets and kicks perfectly.  In flash, the ball is fatter and slightly deceiving in a good way so when you line up a rocket, it's from muscle memory and learning where you can line up your kick. If people can look at at a 45degree angle, kick the ball and get a perfect rocket then it removes that extra bit of skill. I would much rather play a game where you have to play a 48degree angle instead to get the perfect rocket. HTML5 really does remove some skill (and cheapens the coolest part of the game tbh).

2. Ball fat = Harder to know where you're gonna pass the ball

This has been brought up on the fm forums but it's worth talking about. Basically, because your player is slightly fatter, it is harder to tell where you or your opponent is gonna pass the ball. This makes controlling the ball way more fun and not as predictable.

That's all I wanted to chime in on regarding this html5 vs flash debate. If basro were to change the ball fatness size to flash levels, then I would be 100% be for html5 since the overall fps advantage for everyone with minimal effort is great. For a competitive league though, I say, if it's not broken then why fix it.

Also I didn't realise that fm went to html5, sad days. If premhax did this then it's rip league.

If anyone would like to argue my points then go ahead because aside from the fps being better on html5 (which is a stupid point cos haxwin negates that), flash is still king. gg
Gjonaj
Gjonaj
Smooth Operator

Tue May 01 2018, 16:55
U guys cant even move from teamspeak to discord. How tf are yall gonna manage with flash to html5.
DEVS VVLT
DEVS VVLT

Wed May 09 2018, 12:35
I mean I don't really feel much difference in gameplay between flash and html. People seem to clinging on to flash because of nostalgia, and admittedly, I like flash for that reason too, but it's time to let go. But what do I know I'm just a noob anyway
RhysWolvesFc
RhysWolvesFc

Wed May 09 2018, 15:55
You legends are still playing! may have to make a return, one day
Donny
Donny
Dynamite

Sat May 19 2018, 22:51
Flash is a dying technology, Adobe will only be supporting it for another year or so then it'll die down, hence why Basro made a HTML5 version of the game. Embrace the future...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum